3 whole ancho chiles
3 whole pasilla chiles
4 cloves garlic
2-3 chipotles in adobo
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
3 T olive oil
2 T honey
1 T cider vinegar
2 t. mexican oregano
3 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 lbs pork shoulder (Boston Butt)
- Put ancho and pasilla chiles and the garlic in a bowl
- Microwave on high until soft and pliable (2-3 min.)
- Stem and seed the chiles
- Peel the garlic.
- Transfer to a blender.
- Add the chipotles, onion, 2 T olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 T. salt and oregano to the blender.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet and add sauce from blender.
- Fry for about 8 minutes.
- Pour broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Place in slow cooker and pour sauce over.
- Cook on high 5 hours. Shred.