2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, sliced
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the corn syrup , butter, and brown sugar in a small saucepan
- Simmer until the sugar has melted.
- Pour this mixture over the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Place the bread slices over the sugar-butter mixture in the dish.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt
- Pour this mixture over the bread.
- Cover the dish and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Uncover the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve while hot or warm or the French toast will harden in the pan.
It can be reheated.